This is a very typical soup other than the addition of tea. Really, there is nothing to this. It’s quick and easy. Just grab some veggies, a protein, and heat them in some tea-infused water. I just used what I happened to have in my fridge at the moment.
- 5 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of Sencha green tea
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 3 button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 red radishes, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Sea salt to taste
- Chili pepper flakes to taste
- Black pepper to taste
|My chosen veggies!|
|Sliced and ready to go!|
|Green tea and a side of chicken.|
- Infuse the green tea in the water for about 15 – 20 minutes. Can’t remember how to brew Sencha? Check out my Sensational Sencha post. However, there is no need to worry about water temperature or brew time in this case. We’re cooking here! I just used a large teapot with a built-in filter.
- Pour the infused tea and chicken stock into a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add all the veggies, salt, and both peppers, and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken breasts and heat for a couple of minutes.
Enjoy with some bread!
- Place the chicken breasts in a pan with a few inches of water just enough to cover the portions. Poach for 20 minutes. Allow chicken to cool-down and then shred with your fingers or use a couple of forks.
- To save time, use some leftover roasted chicken instead which is what I did. It’s a great way to use up leftovers and create a completely new meal. Woo-hoo!
- Use another green tea instead of Sencha or use green tea bags.
- Any veggie will do. Feel free to use green peas, red or green cabbage, celery, another type of mushroom, along with any combination of the veggies listed in this recipe.
- Try another protein like shrimp, turkey, and even tofu.
- Add soba noodles, brown rice, or rotini pasta for some carbs.
I think the broth is the best part! It almost tastes like a miso soup and you can really detect the tea. It was soothing and perfect to cozy up to on a cold day.