- Spread an even layer of brown rice in a pan. Place over a burner on medium heat about 5 – 8 minutes.
|Time for toasting!|
- Swirl the rice occasionally for complete toasting of each grain.
- Allow rice to slowly turn a darker brown colour. Some grains may pop and that’s fine.
- Remove pan from heat and allow rice to cool down. I placed the rice on a plate for cooling.
- Mix the toasted rice with your choice of green tea.
- Make yourself a cup and enjoy!
|...to make this!|
The toasted rice will have a nutty aroma and even a bit like popcorn. You can place the rice in its own air-tight container to be used for mixing when you’re ready to make yourself tea. Alternatively, you may combine the rice with the green tea right away in a container. I use my mix within 2 weeks.
Play around with the ratios of rice to green tea when mixing. I did a 1:1 ratio. Some may want more tea and less rice or vice versa. If you’d like, you may add a ¼ teaspoon of Matcha to the mix for each cup in order to make Matcha-Iri-Genmaicha. Yum!