I decided to make a hot chocolate using Rooibos for flavouring. Along with a few other ingredients and about 15 minutes, I had a mug of yummy goodness to cozy up with!
- 1 heaping tbsp of Rooibos leaves
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Honey to taste
- Place water and Rooibos leaves in a pot and bring to a medium boil.
- Add almond milk to the pot and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the cocoa powder with a whisk.
- Drop in the honey to your desired level of sweetness. I just used 1 teaspoon.
- Add the vanilla extract and remove the pot from further heating.
- Allow to rest for a few minutes and let all the ingredients mingle with each other.
- Pour through a sieve, into a mug and enjoy. Add a dollop of whipped-cream if you wish, as I did.
This was heaven in a mug! Total chocolate comfort! The Rooibos went very well in this recipe. I actually used the Rooibos blend I prepared in my bonanza brew workshop. “Rock Me Rooibos” contained some peppermint in the mixture, and I could detect light notes of the flavour in my drink. It was really good. I’ve always liked the chocolate and mint combo.
I’m not over my cold yet, but I do feel much after my Rooibos hot chocolate!
- Use another milk such a coconut milk, or just plain milk if you prefer.
- Try a plain Rooibos or some fancy mixture of your choosing.
- Instead of honey, try maple syrup or some other sweetener.
- Use a vanilla bean rather than vanilla extract. It does make a difference.
- Sprinkle nutmeg, cinnamon, or chocolate on your beverage, with or without whipped-cream.